[ale] IEEE... Sort of maybe off topic but... Not really...

planas jslozier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:19:16 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 12:28 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:

> It's all a double edged sword 8-(
> To acquire financial wealth is to acquire control of resources. The
> more resources are controlled by fewer people, the greater the number
> of people in need of resources they can not access on their own.
> So while wealty people can ( and IMNSHO _should_, i.e. the so-called
> "job creators") be a prime resource for the majority with fewer
> resources, the act of fulfilling that need depletes their control of
> resources and thus potentially limits their ability to continue as an
> aggregate resource provider.
> We don't have a visible and universally respected  mechanism that
> provides non-resource controlling recognition for a job well done.
> Thus we are in the strange predicament we are in.
>
> Discussion of resource management are more religious than objective
> analysis and the goes for discussion of rewards for effort and
> expertise.

I would add environmentalism, once you get beyond basic pollution
control/management, tends to be more religious but has a veneer of
science. A very dangerous practice is to use current scientific
knowledge to justify a moral/philosophical position. When the science
changes you are caught looking stupid. It can be virtually impossible to
have a discussion with someone that has confused science with morality.

Jay Lozier
jslozier at gmail.com