[ale] vinyl records

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Oct 4 14:54:41 EDT 2011

Ron Frazier wrote:
> HI Geoffrey,
>
> That's interesting info to know.  I can imagine the "younglings" in our
> readership saying isn't a turntable what you put a car on at an auto
> show, and isn't vinyl what the seats are made of?
>
> It's kind of amusing (in a bad way) that some vinyl records have better
> longevity than some DIY CD's and DVD's.  Organic Dye failures and all that.
>
> I still have a decent Technics turntable that I bought from Best Buy or
> Hi Fi Buys years ago just because it was clear that they were
> disappearing.  This comment won't apply to anyone without a turntable.
> I haven't given this any thought previously, but couldn't I simply get
> an adapter cord at Radio Shack and plug the output of the turntable into
> the mic input of the computer and run some capture software on it?
> Could I do the same thing with cassette tapes?

I suppose mic would do, but I plug mine into the 'line in' on my sound
card.  Other then that, yes, that's my approach.  I use audacity for
capture.

> Just out of curiosity, what audio file format do you use for
> conversion?  What kind of compression do you get?  I've got about 60
> CD's I captured to 56 KBps MP3 years ago.  I can actually hear the
> compression artifacts in them if I listen closely.  Some I've converted
> to 128 KBps.  That's much better.  I've thought about bumping them up to
> 256 or 320 (I think that's the max).  Of course, you lose compression
> and increase size when you bump that up.  If you're trying to stuff 600
> songs on a portable MP3 player, that can become an issue.  According to
> the technical podcasts I listen to, apparently most people cannot hear
> the difference between a CD and a 192 KBps MP3.  I know OGG is also an
> option, but I don't know much about it.  My Sansa Fuze+ player can play OGG.

To be honest with you, I've not revisited my effort of late, so I can't
tell you which format I was using.  I started shuffling stuff around in
my office and did not get my sound system back together yet.

Maybe this discussion will prompt me to get it back together so I can
finish my vinyl conversions.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."