[ale] [OT] nostalgia - Happy 30th birthday IBM PC

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Tue Oct 4 14:42:35 EDT 2011

On October 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM Ron Frazier <atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com>
wrote:

> CPU Speed - PC - 4.7 MHz - LT - 2181 MHz dual core - LT is 928 X FASTER
Actually in raw clock rate it's only 928 x faster.  8088s have no cache and take
30+ cycles for an 8 bit multiply.  With single clock ALU logic, caching,
pipe-lining, super-scaling, branch prediction, hyper threading, high speed bus
interconnects, etc, etc.. The real number is somewhere in the mid to high
hundred thousands of times faster range.

Some of us are actually designing new-old peripherals for the venerable old
girls.  The first prototype third revision (yes third rev) of the XT-IDE boards
will be hitting my door step in a couple weeks.  And there is a 32MB
XMS/EMS/Conv RAM + 4MB ROM + RTC board ready to go to first spin next week.  And
an open hardware 8/16 bit ISA VGA card in the works with 1080p HDMI up-scaling
and USB HID K/M support in the design stage.  A bit sad how some of us spend our
spare time really.

> RAM - PC - 64 KB (that's KILO, not Mega, not Giga) - LT - 8 GB (OK so I >
> upgraded the memory.)
>     If I'm doing the math right, 64 KB is .000061 GB, so LT has 131,148
> X MORE MEMORY
64K was HUGE compared to my first computers!

-Alan

Alan Hightower
Senior Engineer
Panasonic Automotive Systems