[ale] vinyl records

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Oct 4 11:14:23 EDT 2011

HI Geoffrey,

That's interesting info to know.  I can imagine the "younglings" in our
readership saying isn't a turntable what you put a car on at an auto
show, and isn't vinyl what the seats are made of?

It's kind of amusing (in a bad way) that some vinyl records have better
longevity than some DIY CD's and DVD's.  Organic Dye failures and all that.

I still have a decent Technics turntable that I bought from Best Buy or
Hi Fi Buys years ago just because it was clear that they were
disappearing.  This comment won't apply to anyone without a turntable.
I haven't given this any thought previously, but couldn't I simply get
an adapter cord at Radio Shack and plug the output of the turntable into
the mic input of the computer and run some capture software on it?
Could I do the same thing with cassette tapes?

Just out of curiosity, what audio file format do you use for
conversion?  What kind of compression do you get?  I've got about 60
CD's I captured to 56 KBps MP3 years ago.  I can actually hear the
compression artifacts in them if I listen closely.  Some I've converted
to 128 KBps.  That's much better.  I've thought about bumping them up to
256 or 320 (I think that's the max).  Of course, you lose compression
and increase size when you bump that up.  If you're trying to stuff 600
songs on a portable MP3 player, that can become an issue.  According to
the technical podcasts I listen to, apparently most people cannot hear
the difference between a CD and a 192 KBps MP3.  I know OGG is also an
option, but I don't know much about it.  My Sansa Fuze+ player can play OGG.

Sincerely,

Ron