[ale] Local source for 19" rack(s)?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 08:32:03 EDT 2011

Most rack rails are keyed to the brand of system. White box rails are often
rather generic in general but a poor fit for most generic cases.
Lowes ha(s/d) an angle stock for struts that was ~1.5" on both sides and has
holes and slots for easy bolting.
I've also seen a bolt run through the front and rear rail by 1"+ to provide
a shelf support for plywood.
It was the drop ceiling hangar wire that took the prize for lowest cost!
Across the front and rear rails and diagonally for middle support. Then
topped with cardboard.
I wish I had a picture of the wooden rack with adjustable shelves I saw used
by a sound pwrson. Good carpentry and excellent design. Front and rear doors
removed and became a work table.through bolts on all grips and heavy duty
locking castors and shipping case style corner protectors.
On Oct 3, 2011 10:27 AM, "Derek Atkins" <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> LinuxGnome <lnxgnome at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 09/22/2011 11:10 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>> I'm looking for a local source for one or two 19" racks, preferably
>>> inexpensive. Any suggestions?
>>> -derek
>>
>> I have a 19" rack (26" deep) I inherited, but I need shelves and rails
for it. Anyone have some shelves/rails they are looking to part with
(preferably inexpensive)?

>> I've tried freecycle and craigs, but without any luck as of yet. Ebay may
be next, but rack bits on there seem to be as expensive as buying it
commercially.