[ale] raw files in the Gimp

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:27:39 EST 2011

On 11/30/2011 10:14 PM, Drifter wrote:
> Old camera died.  Got new camera (Nikon -- didn't want to toss a half
> dozen lenses)
> New camera produces RAW files in format<filename.NEF>
> If I open the image in Gimp, only the icon file is available.
> The original image is 12 Mgb (more or less), but the file in Gimp is only
> 209 Kb -- 160 x 120 pixels.
>
> So, can The Gimp handle Nikon RAW files?
>
> If so, how do I set it up to do that?
>
> Advice would be appreciated.
>
> Sean

You may want to check out RawTherapee at http://rawtherapee.com. When I
was hoping to be able to get a DSLR I was looking at Nikon and was
exploring OpenSource software that would directly handle the RAW format.
I think that there was a plugin for Gimp, but several people had pointed
me to RawTherapee and another package that slips from the old memory cells.