[ale] Credentials (wuz: [Semi-OT] Networking Equipment)

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Nov 30 16:20:47 EST 2011

RedHat certification seems to actually mean something.   You do NOT pass the tests without being able to troubleshoot.

I can't tell you the number of "certified" UNIX Admins I've met that couldn't figure out which way is out in a dark room with sunlight shining in a doorway.  In my UNIX career experience has always outweighed degrees and certifications.   I suspect that may change for Linux over time.  However, the speaker AUUG regularly has from TekSystems has said that most employers still view that as a "nice to have" rather than a necessity when looking for Linux folks.