[ale] ext3-fs error (RH 3.4.6-2)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:16:29 EST 2011

my heart skips many beats recalling the number of systems that have failed
during a simple physical
 relocation. Even let them cool down for several hours before moving them
30 feet on a cart with soft tires and padding and drives gently removed and
shock and static protected separately. failed reoots, mobo's die, hard
drives fail to ever spin back up, power supplies drop a rail, ram never
works again, etc.

I've tried for years to get "the people who make decisions" to do the
simple following process:

when time for an upgrade to a server OS (major version change like
RHEL4->RHEL5)
1. Buy new server and do fresh new OS install
2. migrate old data to new system and begin testing.
3. Once testing is complete and new system taking the load, wipe the old
drives and sell the old system.
4. stop storing junk

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky