[ale] [Semi-OT] Networking Equipment

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 12:08:52 EST 2011

On 11/30/2011 11:56 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Any time a vendor-specific answer is given, it (in my book) loses
> credibility.  As with the multitude of Linux distributions out there,
> there are multitudes of hardware used for networking, and it is the
> knowledge of the standards that they all implement that is important.
>
> Specifics, such as user interfaces and proprietary extensions, are
> easy to work with if you have the base that is the standard stack.  It
> doesn't matter if you're talking about operating systems, Linux
> distributions, networking, or even cars.
>
> 	--- Mike

Mike,

My advice comes specifically from the enterprise world. If someone wants
to get a networking job in a large company, Cisco experience is key.
That is not to say other options like Juniper, OpenWRT, etc, aren't
valuable. However, generic skills (networking, Linux) will lose to
specifics (Cisco, Red Hat), all other points being equal.

Again, please don't take my stance to be the way I feel things should
be. After doing this stuff for a while I see that it is the way things are.

Leam