[ale] Server distro help

Wolf Halton wolf.halton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:58:50 EST 2011

I am running production Ubuntu LTS servers, and considering debian for its
long lifespan.
Certain 3rd-party softwares run only on RPM machines, so for those machines
- try Fedora or CentOS.  I interviewed once where they used arch linux as
production servers.  My first distro was mandrake - back when it was a
burned copy of RH (4 IIRC) with "mandrake" written across the disk with
permanent marker. One place I worked I was administering Redhat 7 & 9, AIX
and openVMS.
Get a stable virtual environment running and try a bunch of different
distros.