[ale] Server distro help

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Nov 28 10:15:38 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 10:01 -0500, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> Great line!  But what of Startcom and Scientific Linux?  : )

> Can't leave other RH brethren out in the hall......

> But Fedora on a server?  Doth that not raise the ire of many amidst the
> citizenry...(although many do this - and I for one really like Fedora).

Not I.  Fedora is very stable and has a lot of enterprise and datacenter
features that have only just now made their way into distros like
RHEL/CentOS/SL 6.  Things like KVM, LXC Containers, MD5 signatures for
BGP (is there any other use for TCP MD5 signatures than BGP?).  You can
not get these sorts of things in RHEL 5.  You can, more or less, in RHEL
6 but, what's next.  You want to stay ahead of the competition, it's the
way to go.

> RinL

> On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 09:51 -0500, Mike Harrison wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, leam hall wrote:
> > > My usual response to "What Linux distro should I use?" has been "If you
> > > want to work *with* Linux, use Ubuntu. If you want to work *on* Linux, use
> > > Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS."
> >
> > Hilariously accurate.

Regards,
Mike