[ale] quick renaming hiccup help

mute wonder mutewonder at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 12:37:47 EST 2011

I tried to remove part of a common pattern from a group of folders with a
quick 'rename' command.  It didn't work.

Within the same folder, several subfolders have names containing " --
Jamendo - MP3 VBR", and I wanted to remove everything in the names that
began with that string.  So, I tried the rename command:

rename \ --\ Jamendo* _folder *Jamendo\ -\ MP3*

And this tacked the intended replacement text, "_folder" onto the end of
the intended removal text, " -- Jamendo*", but it managed to match all the
intended folders.  So escaping the spaces seemed to work only part of the
time.  Why?