[ale] Onboard RAID

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Thu Nov 17 10:32:26 EST 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 02:14:47PM +0000, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I agree that Fake RAID doesn't save you anything over doing software
> RAID and the downside of using it likely outweighs any touted
> benefits.

FakeRAID buys you exactly one benefit over Linux mdraid: The ability to
boot off of the array itself.  In theory, anyway.  I've seen plenty of
FakeRAID arrays fail to boot or initialize properly when one of the
disks dies.

What I prefer to do (with great success) is to use Linux mdraid, and put
/boot on a small USB stick.  That way losing a disk in the array won't
risk leaving you with an unbootable system.

That said, I prefer to use 3Ware controllers, especially for RAID5/6.
They JustWork(tm) no matter what is thrown at them, and their Linux
support is top-notch.  Their controllers/metadata are explicitly
forward-compatible, and in most cases backwards-compatible too, so a
controller failure won't leave you screwed.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Melbourne, FL                          ^^ (mail/jabber/gtalk) ^^