[ale] Onboard RAID

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Wed Nov 16 16:12:16 EST 2011

There is a world of difference between "hardware" BIOS RAID and a real
RAID card like a PERC H700.  Please do not throw both of those things
in the same category.  Given the choice between software RAID and BIOS
RAID, software RAID is the only real choice.  However, a real RAID
card will almost always be the best option, if you have one available.

I haven't used Windows software RAID recently, but I think it will be
difficult to get a RAID10 working since the drivers required for
accessing the striped data are themselves striped across the disks,
rendering them unreadable to the system as it boots.  Windows may use
a separate boot partition that is not striped to get around this
issue, but you will have to research that (and I'm not sure a Linux
user group mailing list is the place to find the best answer).  I'm
sure you could test it out in a VM.

As for Windows being completely, horribly sucky sucky, please cut it
out.  A very large portion of the world uses Windows for rather large
file storage on a daily basis, and they don't all constantly crash and
burn.  It may not be your preference, so leave it at that.  Linux has
its own share of problems.

Finally, why do they include BIOS RAID on systems?  Mainly to have a
feature to list on the package.  Incidentally, I don't think I would
buy a board for enterprise usage that has such a feature.  Those are
typically aimed at the enthusiast market.

P.S. Please pay attention to whether the replies you receive are top
or bottom posted and use the same method to continue the conversation.
 I'm not one to care, as long as you are consistent within the same
thread.

❧ Brian Mathis