[ale] Cheapish Server Hardware?

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Mon Nov 14 15:10:20 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:58 PM, matt <ur.matt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Part of me wants to get new hardware, because new hardware is exciting, but
> I think for this purpose, and since it's my own cash and project, I'm going
> to go with used. There's simply too much of it out there to warrant buying
> new stuff.
> I did look around newegg and was tempted by some intel/supermicro barebones,
> but I don't think that's the solution.
> Stephen, I'll contact him, thanks for the reference.
> Matt
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried NewEgg for build-your-own options? 8GB could be just a
>> little over $50 in RAM (there was a $44.99 2x4GB DDR3 1600 deal 1 week
>> ago) I think this ought to be doable. I'm not saying this is the one
>> for you, but
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816138002
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM, matt <ur.matt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I just found a kind soul who is going to let me host a development/test
>> > box
>> > in his rack on the super cheap, so I'm replacing my old crappy VPS with
>> > proper server. Does anyone know where I can find some hardware?
>> > I'm looking for a 1u box, manufacturer doesn't matter, just needs at
>> > least 4
>> > cores, 8 gigs of ram, and a processor that supports hardware
>> > virtualization
>> > instructions (vt-d/x, whatever AMD calls it). I'm willing to spend
>> > around
>> > $500. I looked around craigslist and ebay, but that didn't seem to be
>> > the
>> > way to go.
>> > I got a quote for a new i7 box that was about $950, but that's a little
>> > more
>> > than I want to spend at the moment, and I really don't need new hardware
>> > as
>> > I know there are a ton of perfectly good, previous generation servers
>> > out
>> > there that need a home.
>> > Thanks all, and hope to see you Thursday!
>> > Matt.
>>

>> --
>> .!# RichardBronosky #!.

Matt,

For what it's worth, if you're going to be hosting anything that is
critical to you, I can't recommend something with ECC RAM enough.  I
know that moves the price point (significantly) up, but at current bit
densities, memory errors are more common than one would think.

David

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com