[ale] Cheapish Server Hardware?

Mon Nov 14 12:26:59 EST 2011

Have you tried NewEgg for build-your-own options? 8GB could be just a
little over $50 in RAM (there was a $44.99 2x4GB DDR3 1600 deal 1 week
ago) I think this ought to be doable. I'm not saying this is the one
for you, but http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816138002

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:56 AM, matt <ur.matt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just found a kind soul who is going to let me host a development/test box
> in his rack on the super cheap, so I'm replacing my old crappy VPS with a
> proper server. Does anyone know where I can find some hardware?
> I'm looking for a 1u box, manufacturer doesn't matter, just needs at least 4
> cores, 8 gigs of ram, and a processor that supports hardware virtualization
> instructions (vt-d/x, whatever AMD calls it). I'm willing to spend around
> $500. I looked around craigslist and ebay, but that didn't seem to be the
> way to go.
> I got a quote for a new i7 box that was about $950, but that's a little more
> than I want to spend at the moment, and I really don't need new hardware as
> I know there are a ton of perfectly good, previous generation servers out
> there that need a home.
> Thanks all, and hope to see you Thursday!
> Matt.

.!# RichardBronosky #!.