[ale] Cheapish Server Hardware?

matt ur.matt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 11:56:07 EST 2011

I just found a kind soul who is going to let me host a development/test box
in his rack on the super cheap, so I'm replacing my old crappy VPS with a
proper server. Does anyone know where I can find some hardware?
I'm looking for a 1u box, manufacturer doesn't matter, just needs at least
4 cores, 8 gigs of ram, and a processor that supports hardware
virtualization instructions (vt-d/x, whatever AMD calls it). I'm willing to
spend around $500. I looked around craigslist and ebay, but that didn't
seem to be the way to go.
I got a quote for a new i7 box that was about $950, but that's a little
more than I want to spend at the moment, and I really don't need new
hardware as I know there are a ton of perfectly good, previous generation
servers out there that need a home.

Thanks all, and hope to see you Thursday!
Matt.