[ale] The very closed LeapPad uses very Free Software

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Mon Nov 14 11:05:42 EST 2011

Hi all,

I wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire if you want open and customizable. I think
they're using a forked version of Android which is closed and
proprietary to their business interests. I don't like regular Kindle for
the same reason. I would rather have an Android tablet with Kindle,
Nook, and Kobo EReader apps on it. I would look for a "vanilla" Android
tablet, or one that's proven to be rootable. I would also look for
Android 3.?, rather than Android 2.?. I'm hoping there will be some good
sales on Black Friday.

Of course, with a rooted device, you may run into trouble trying to play
copy protected or patent protected media. But you could always rip your
own DVD's and store the files. I would definitely look for a model with
an SD or Micro SD card slot. You can use up internal memory really fast
storing movies. Here are some good sources for research.

http://twit.tv/aaa - All About Android podcast
http://twit.tv/tnt - Tech News Today podcast

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/ - The EBook Reader Blog (they cover
some tablets too)