[ale] How do I NOT use Unity and DO use Gnome 2 in Ubuntu 11.x?

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:26:37 EST 2011

Likely your longest support window for a Gnome 2 desktop is going to be
Centos 6 and Scientific Linux 6, extended support til 2017 mirroring RHEL
6, and I think the main rpm repos plus rpmforge and backports do a little
better of a job in more current software than Debian based distros. What I
don't know is can you run GTK3 apps in Gnome 2? I have a feeling that XFCE
and LXDE is going are carry the banner of the traditional desktop metaphor,
as well as IMHO don't count out how well Gnome 3 fallback mode might work
by Gnome 3.4.  That said I am using Debian Squeeze on my laptop but the old
software is frustrating for me too (although I think the Libreoffice from
backports is 3.4.3).