[ale] Linux swap space vs hibernate, power shutdown settings

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Tue Nov 8 10:59:32 EST 2011

David,

I've done some testing and gotten some, shall we say, interesting results.

The specs for my machine are: AMD Phenom II X4 quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM,
Ubuntu 10.04.

I booted a live CD of Ubuntu 11.04 (different from my installed system
but power drain about the same) and pulled the plug on the AC input to
the UPS. Everything was at the default settings for the CD, and no
applications were running. The drain on the battery was 247 W.

The good news is that the battery lasted 9 min 45 sec, a bit longer than
I thought it would. The bad news is that the battery charge went from
about 30% to about 0%, according to Ubuntu, in just a few seconds. The
machine shut down very abruptly, and I don't think it had time to do a
shutdown sequence. That's why I was booting from a CD. I'm probably
going to use the gconf-editor to set the shutdown point at 70% of full
charge in my normal system.

I timed a shutdown sequence with my email and Firefox running. There
were 5 FF windows and they had 7, 2, 6, 6, 6 tabs open respectively. A
16 GB swap file was available but none was in use prior to shutdown
according to System Monitor. There were no unsaved files open which
might delay a shutdown by asking questions about saving them. (What
would happen if they were open?)

The shutdown sequence took 9 seconds to complete, very impressive.

I then tried to do a hibernate. That didn't turn out so well. The system
spent 30 seconds trying to hibernate, produced some error messages on
the text screen, then restarted and went back to the login screen on the
screen saver after about 1 minute. So, it never hibernated at all. For
now, I have it set to shut down on low battery. I still need to tinker
with the levels where it shuts down though, as it's probably defaulting
to 10% charge.

I posted a picture of the error screen which I took with my cellphone.
If anyone knows what this means, please let me know. It's posted here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/hibernate%20error.jpg

Sincerely,

Ron