[ale] AARG! Manual software updates, Sun Java, LibreOffice, help

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Nov 7 14:17:36 EST 2011

On 11/07/2011 10:58 AM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> So, right now, if I want to have my Linux machine running the most
> current LibreOffice 3.4.3 (I think) and the most current Oracle Java
> 6.29, like some of my Windows machines already are, I have to go through
> procedures for those two applications to update them which are
> substantially more difficult than those on Windows.

The thing you're not getting is that, if you want security updates, you
need only run an update every so often.  And on most Linux
distributions, that will update EVERYTHING INSTALLED ON YOUR SYSTEM.  On
Windows, you have to actually bother to check for all your applications.

Unless you have some serious issues that you MUST. WORK. AROUND. NOW.,
you really don't need to be stepping outside of your distribution.  The
only reason that I ever step outside of mine is when I am actually
actively developing software that depends on a version of something that
I cannot get from my package manager.  That's it.

	--- Mike