[ale] AARG! Manual software updates, Sun Java, LibreOffice, help

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Sun Nov 6 23:02:29 EST 2011

On 11/05/2011 09:02 AM, Ron Frazier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been going through my routine pc maintenance procedures, updating
> everything which connects to the internet for every login on every
> computer, checking security settings, doing backups and such.  One of
> the things I'm trying to get away from by using Linux is the Windows
> pattern of having to update everything in the system manually, which is
> very time consuming.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, and, for the most part,
> the Apt / Synaptic package manager system handles the updates.  I have
> two anomalies that are really bugging me.

<snip>

> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

Ron,

For every choice you make in life, there is a price to be paid.  You
choose to run LTS editions of Ubuntu, and you've explained your
reasoning before on the mailing list.  Unfortunately, one of the prices
of running an LTS edition is that you may not have the most current
versions of software.

At work, we do run 10.04 LTS on servers, and there are times where I
have to roll new packages to get newer versions of software than is
available in the repos -- though I try not to, if at all possible.
Sometimes we just decide to live without a feature or two.  Again, it's
a tradeoff.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com