[ale] Linux swap space vs hibernate, power shutdown settings

Ron Frazier atllinuxenthinfo at c3energy.com
Sun Nov 6 20:36:25 EST 2011

I know, I know.  The APC UPS Box in the store attacked me with
marketspeak jargon and got through my defenses.

It said "750 VA" (which is about 750 W)

And said "runs for 15 minutes"

So, I naturally assumed that it "runs for 15 minutes" AT "750 VA".

Well, it don't!  (Bad grammar used for emphasis.)

It actually runs for about 1.5 minutes at 750 W and about 4 minutes at
my typical load of 300 W.

I guess it WOULD run for 15 minutes at a load of 75 W!  Live and learn.
Aside from the marketspeak, that was the biggest UPS I felt I could
afford at the time.

Given the situation, I'd really like to figure out how to tell Gnome to
shut down at 75% battery power left, which is what I've done in
Windows.  That way, it will stand a fighting chance of stabilizing if
I'm not there to babysit in the event of a power failure.

I'll try to address the hibernate vs suspend issue more later.

Sincerely,

Ron