[ale] AARG! Manual software updates, Sun Java, LibreOffice, help

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 19:34:08 EDT 2011

Fedora's repos also will lag behind upstream versions of various
packages as they tend to message their own twist onto the package.
Whether it be just where certain files get placed during the install
process or custom tweaks to the UI. I have seen postings on the LO list
that mention running 2 versions, the pros and cons of doing so as well
as how to do it. If that is not your intent then what you need to do is
uninstall the version you have, then download from
https://www.libreoffice.org/ the packages needed and then through either
your package manager or command line do o local install. This will
install to /opt. If memory serves me correctly there are 2 files that
need to be downloaded, one is a very large one and contains the apps
themselves and the smaller one is the help docs.

I'm currently running Fedora 16 Beta which out of box comes with 3.4.3,
I would imagine that if you were to install the latest ?buntu that it
would probably also have 3.4.3 since it's been several weeks since its
release.

As far as JAVA goes, SUN used to have a site that you could go to that
would scan your system (or something like that, its been a while) to
check the version installed or if it's installed. It was somewhat
autopilot in that it would install an updated version or pointed you to
a page that walked you through in how to do it, or to do a fresh
install. Since being gobbled up by Oracle, I don't know if that is still
available.

Scott C.