[ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Fri Nov 4 17:48:35 EDT 2011

As with must things on Linux, the answer is "It depends on how your
system is configured." This is pretty easily tested on any system
though.
~$ sudo date # this is to prime my sudo password timeout
Password:
Fri Nov  4 17:47:12 EDT 2011
~$ host google.com
google.com has address 74.125.159.106
~$ host bronosky.com
bronosky.com has address 174.143.204.116
~$ (sleep 5; sudo tee -a /etc/hosts <<< "174.143.204.116 google.com")
& (while true; do ping -q -c 1 google.com | head -1; sleep 1; done)
[1] 4874
PING google.com (74.125.159.106): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (74.125.159.106): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (74.125.159.106): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (74.125.159.106): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (74.125.159.106): 56 data bytes
174.143.204.116 google.com
PING google.com (174.143.204.116): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (174.143.204.116): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (174.143.204.116): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (174.143.204.116): 56 data bytes
PING google.com (174.143.204.116): 56 data bytes
^C
[1]+  Done                    ( sleep 5; sudo tee -a /etc/hosts <<<
"174.143.204.116 google.com" )

Is that quick enough for you?

.!# RichardBronosky #!.