[ale] rsh to old Solaris 5.6 hangs

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Nov 4 16:09:19 EDT 2011

When doing “rsh <server>” to the Solaris server it successfully logs me in from my Linux server.

However, when I do “rsh <server> <command>” it simply hangs.  Both ls and date commands have been tried as has specifying the path (e.g. /bin/date).  Neither works.   Does anyone know why?

The original server is in root’s .rhosts (otherwise it wouldn’t let me do the login).   Using the –n option doesn’t help.   After login if I do a “whoami” it shows me coming from the server expected (that is in .rhosts).

Please don’t tell me 5.6 is older than dirt or that rsh shouldn’t be used because it is insecure.   This is a legacy phone system and there isn’t a chance in Hades that it is going to be upgraded to a newer OS or that they’d let me install ssh on it.   I’m just curious why the above rsh syntax isn’t working given that it is clearly allowing the rsh login.

Jeffrey C. Lightner
Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.
5660 New Northside Drive NW