[ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Nov 4 09:38:48 EDT 2011

I feel fairly confident /etc/hosts is NOT cached because of a recent experience I had with NetBackup 7.1 which does its own caching (unbeknownst to me) that was causing issues when I was modifying /etc/hosts.   More fun was had when it turned out that HP-UX had a separate entry in nsswitch.conf for using the newer IPv6 lookup routines other than hosts line (luckily Linux doesn’t but I saw postings at the time that suggests Solaris does).   NBU 7.1 also uses those newer IPv6 routines whereas many of the OS level commands weren’t unless I was specifically trying to use IPv6.

You can check with something like ping or telnet after edit of /etc/hosts.   They’ll show you the IP they’re trying.

Of course getent hosts <hostname> will read /etc/hosts but I’m not sure that

I really find it hard to believe that an /etc/hosts lookup is causing you serious delays unless the drive /etc/hosts is on is doing things it shouldn’t.   For one thing the hosts lookup doesn’t have to make a network call like the DNS lookup would.

Of course we’re assuming you’re not using some other name service like NIS or NIS+ and that your nsswitch.conf has files before dns on the hosts line.