[ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:47:52 EDT 2011

Since nscd is a name service caching daemon it's what you do want to use.
There are some gotchas:
If the system is not running networking before nscd starts, it will never
get any data as it never loads the system nameservers.
Changing data in hosts will not get picked up by nscd until it's refresh
time has expired. That time is a conf file option.
Restarting nscd will not resolve either of these.
The solution is to do a cache flush on the hosts entries in nscd.
Man nscd for exact syntax.
Use nscd. It's a good tool for offloading network traffic that's basically
redundant data. If you set a ttl of an hour, that works well for normal use.