[ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Chesser.Damon Damon.Chesser at SunTrust.com
Fri Nov 4 08:24:53 EDT 2011

Thanks for the reply, that is how I thought it worked also.  As for nscd, someone on this list said “Don’t.  Use. It.”

Any other opinions on it?

Damon at damtek.com

From: ale-bounces at ale.org [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On Behalf Of leam hall
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2011 8:17 AM
To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts
Subject: Re: [ale] /etc/hosts and caching

Good morning Damon!

As far as I can tell by editing /etc/hosts on a RHEL 4 box, the IP addresses are not cached longer than it takes me to edit the file. I believe your server will alwyas look in /etc/hosts anyway, per the /etc/nsswitch.conf file. The normal hosts line is something like:

   hosts:      files dns

There is the program nscd and it's config file, ncsd.conf. This configures some caching for you but I *think* it's more DNS related than affecting /etc/hosts.

Hope that helps.

Leam