[ale] Vim is 20!

David Tomaschik david at systemoverlord.com
Thu Nov 3 09:48:47 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Rich Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org> wrote:
> So...that means that Emacs pre-dates Vi?  I was working on Emacs back when I
> worked at Sequent Computing Systems in 1988/89....wrote a couple of manuals
> on it.  Ran UNIX and DYNIX in those days...kinda miss those old days
> sometimes back in Beaverton, Oregon.  It was there that I first went online
> as a matter of fact....[Rich starts tripping down memory lane and falls into
> the ditch at the side of the road]  I will offer that I am not a fan of
> Vi/Vim and trended to Emacs.  Then found my way to Notepad (ugh!) and now
> gedit...(products of driving Windows from 1995-2008).
>
> Back to work....

vi and emacs were both written in 1976[1][2].  "vim", on the other
hand, was written in 1991, which is what this is about.  "vim" = "vi
improved".

[1] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Vi
[2] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Emacs

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE, LPIC-1
System Administrator/Open Source Advocate
david at systemoverlord.com