[ale] nsswitch and db option

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Nov 1 13:05:20 EDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 12:02 -0400, Chesser.Damon wrote:
> I am trying to research the db option in nsswitch (as in: hosts:  db
> files  dns ).  We figure if a Linux client can use the dns cache for
> lookups, that would be faster then files or dns.  However, I can't find
> anybody who has ever used that option and google is slim pickens
> researching it.

I seriously doubt you'll find much improvement exploring the db option.
I'm also not aware of anyone who has ever used that option in
nsswitch.conf, either.  I'm not aware of any of the cachers that require
it.  The "db" option (according to some sources) is for Berkeley
Database formatted files (sendmail database files for example) and I'm
not sure that's what you are looking for.

If you already have a local DNS client cacher running (nscd, dnsmasq,
dnscache, or even a full bore instantiation of Bind running as a local
recursive caching name server) then just use the DNS option but then set
your /etc/resolve.conf file to be just "nameserver 127.0.0.1" to direct
all queries to the location cacher.  I do this quite often but the
primary reason I do it is not for speed but rather so I can directly
forward certain well known domains, or domains with specific "views" to
specific authoritative name servers and not go through the full
recursion / redirection process through the root.  Some cachers, such as
dnsmasq, even require that you specify a set of forwarders since they
may not have full recursion / redirection capability.

OTOH, while nscd CAN provide this functionality without monkeying with
resolv.conf (it caches a number of things at the API level) it can be,
apparently, unreliable and make be more trouble that what it's worth.
I've seen some very negative comments about nscd like this:

"If there is DNS caching in Hell, it is provided by nscd. Don't. Use. It."

There are other alternatives.  Personally, I like dnsmasq.  The
challenge there is just updating its configuration files if it's a
laptop away from home base.  While dhclient and Network Mangler will
update resolve.conf (which you do NOT want in this case) getting them to
update /etc/dnsmasq.d/default.conf is not going to happen without some
work under the hood (dhclient has scripting hooks but Network Manager /
Mangler insists it knows what you want better than you do and you can
just sod off).  Any API level cacher working through gethostent or
gethostbyname or whatever is probably better in the pure caching case
where you don't need static forwardings and you have road warriors
where /etc/resolv.conf is going to get screwed with (some VPNs do this
too, grrrr).  Either way, you don't need the db option and you don't
need to monkey with nsswitch.conf.

Regards,
Mike