[ale] nsswitch and db option

Chesser.Damon Damon.Chesser at SunTrust.com
Tue Nov 1 12:02:45 EDT 2011

I am trying to research the db option in nsswitch (as in: hosts:  db
files  dns ).  We figure if a Linux client can use the dns cache for
lookups, that would be faster then files or dns.  However, I can't find
anybody who has ever used that option and google is slim pickens
researching it.

How do you access the (Linux) client dns cache info? Would "hosts:  db
files dns" cause the first check to be performed on the dns cache?

If NOT what does "db" cause to happen?

Thanks!

Damon.chesser at suntrust.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc. Live Solid. Bank Solid. is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]