[ale] who is eating my drive

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue May 31 12:17:37 EDT 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 11:40:38 -0400
"Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savithari at gmail.com> wrote:

> It looks like the
>
> /dev and /var each have a space of 4G

/dev isn't using any space.  If you look in the first column you'll see
that it is using a block device of `none`.  If you check the `mount`
command you'll probably see that /dev has a file system type of
`devtmpfs`.

The four mount points you see with `none` listed in the first column
are all memory based file systems.

> So that is 13G + 8G = 21G, but the question is why is /dev/having so
> much and why /var is having 4G and how can I "trim" it

I can't tell where the other ~9 gig is from the `df` output.  My first
guess is that it is either unpartitioned or unmounted space.  The
output of `fdisk -l /dev/sda` would be helpful.

Pat