[ale] Fedora 15

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu May 26 09:12:10 EDT 2011

The point is comparing Fedora or RHEL to RH 5 means you're basing things
on ancient history:   RH5.2 was released in Nov 1998 and RH6.0 was
released in Apr 1999.

We're talking 12 years AFTER the "newer" RH 6.0 was released!

Even RH 9 which was the last of the old RH series was released Apr 2003
so that was 8 years ago.   Fedora Core 1 was released at the end of that
year and we're now up to Fedora 15 (they dropped the "core" from name).
The initial release of RHEL 5 was four years after that and of course it
has been continuously upgraded (5.1, 5.2,...,5.6) and RHEL 6 was
released late last year.

RHEL used to use "up2date" which was similar to yum but not quite the
same.   They moved to yum with the release of RHEL5 and it had been in
Fedora before that.

Personally I find the apt/dpkg stuff annoying to use.   Of course yum
isn't always perfect but it certainly makes life a lot easier than just
using rpm which was your only option in the ancient RH stuff you were
discussing.   Computer technology evolves quickly so attempting to
compare what was done in 1998 to what is done in 2011 is disingenuous at
best.   Just because a command has the same name as it did then does not
mean it works exactly the same way as it did then.