[ale] Fedora 15

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu May 26 07:15:36 EDT 2011

I am aware of that, but rpm is fundamentally the same as from rh5.2... will
reply more when next @ a pc, but w/ RPM systems I have never used them long
enough to figure out how to add an unofficial/extra repo. (That is, I have
only ever used stock stuff or built from src by hand on such systems.)

Maybe yum isn't analgous to apt, but apt certainly is a dpkg front end. Dpkg
works in terms of individual packages, while apt is what fetches them from a
repo and installs them in the correct order. (As long as there isn't a
circular dependency, in theory. I have never encountered that situation with
Debian or Ubuntu so I cannot say in practice.)

I have, however, seen front ends for RPM (again, stock only) fail to install
packages, fail to upgrade packages, etc., and not be transient errors. From
RH5.2 to Fedora 15 (only maybe five systems in that family tree in between
them).

IIRC, ESR stopped using RPM distros for similar reasons.

Perhaps I will put F15 on a VM so that next I encounter this situation
(didn't take me long this time) I will post the VM HDD img and how to
replicate, and maybe someone can tell me what it is that I must be doing
wrong?

--
Sent from my phone... a G2 running CM7 nightlies!
On May 25, 2011 11:25 PM, "Jim Kinney" <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dude! RH 5.x is not even in the same _game_ as RHEL 5.x. You're comparing
> kernel 1.x to kernel 2.6.x. Different animal.
>
> The quantity of info contained by a particular package is a function of
the
> needs of that package. RPM's support pre and post install and removal
> scripts. I am quite certain that debs provide similar capabilities.
>
> Yum and apt are not "front ends" for their respective package formats.
They