[ale] Fedora 15

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed May 25 23:42:19 EDT 2011

Gentoo user peers in and opines, "My, what strange and exotic problems
these people seem to be having..."

In Gentoo, new versions of packages - to include major revisions like
Gnome 3, KDE4, or Python 3 - are not associated with versions of
distribution because there *are no* versions of the distribution; a
given package's version is available for a Gentoo instance once its
managers mark it stable (you can, of course, unmask it for inclusion
*before* it's marked stable if you want).  Portage (the package
management system) will sort out and handle the dependencies.  There's
no need to keep up with a shifting repository diaspora to obtain obvious
common packages; there is really only one repository that's mirrored
around the world (you can generate a local copy if you like; it's on the
order of 100GiB) and only in the case of an extreme outlier (or
non-open/unreleaseable code or binaries that you might be trafficking
in) will you need to establish an overlay for a package that's not in
Portage; this is very useful in institutional settings.

There's no need for torrents, version release parties, multi-gig CD or
DVD sets; any general-purpose liveCD is fine for installation or, once
you've got a starting-point instance for a given architecture built how
you like it, you can just blow a backup of it onto other hardware,
configure and run grub, boot it up, run "emerge --sync && emerge -uD
world" and in a little while you'll have a fully updated new instance.

Generally, when I'm working in Linux, at any given moment I'm interested
in the behavior of a handful of packages and the results I get from
them; I don't care to vibrate a lot of brain cells over distribution
issues.  I don't have to scratch my head over why on a brand new version
of a certain Linux distribution, I'm stuck with a
two-and-a-half-year-old version of CUPS or some such.

And when I emerge a package on a given machine, it's nice to know that
the gcc invocation will be flagged for the exact type of CPU I've got
with the various optimization flags set to be as safe or as radical as I
feel like having them be.