[ale] Fedora 15

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 25 23:29:14 EDT 2011

Hardware accel is checked for capabilities to run gnome 3 toys. So far, no
virtual system can really pass muster on that. :(  I have a Radeon HD 3100
laptop (Toshiba Satellite) that is pretty happy with this.

Use the netinstall or DVD iso to install to a vm. the live CD, due to space
considerations, is limited in the hardware it can work on for the install.

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Wolf Halton <wolf at wolfhalton.info> wrote:

>  I have been trying to see what I was doing wrong with the
> Fed-15-live/install disk.  I have gone through installs from the live media
> 3 times on virtualBox.  Fatal error booting from the virtual hard drive when
> the install is over and I reboot.  My install media is an iso of the CD (Not
> DVD).  I cannot emulate hardware video acceleration even though I checked
> 3-d video accel on the settings page for this vm and gave it 128M video ram,
> so Gnome3 is still falling back to 2.5.
>

> On 05/25/2011 10:59 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
> Fedora is a single DVD download. No CD iso's.
>
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM, David Hillman <hillmands at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I am going through similar issues with Ubuntu 11.04.  Libreoffice is nice,
>> but Unity isn't doing it for me on the Ubuntu end.  I want to try Gnome 3 to
>> see how it is, but my only other machine that I have that might support that
>> is a Macbook Pro.  Unfortunately, Virtualbox doesn't seem to have what it
>> takes to support Gnome3.  A good option is to get Gnome 3 on Ubuntu 11.04.
>>  My limited research seems to head in the
>> million-headaches-to-suffer-through direction.  There is too much other work
>> to be done right now for that.  It'll be far easier to swap in a new hard
>> drive in the new Toshiba and install Fedora, despite my dislike for RPM.
>>  Does still have the 10 CDs or 2 DVDs download?  Since when did things
>> become so....complicated?  My grandfather would probably start giving his
>> speech about too many cooks in the kitchen right about now.
>>
>>  On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>>  Upgrading laptop to fedora 15 and noticed that openoffice was replaced
>>> with libreoffice. Oracle really pissed off a lot of people.
>>> Also I actually read the fedora docs and realized that gnome3 effectively
>>> requires a two handed user. The active spot to launch applications requires
>>> both alt key and left mouse simultaneously to use. What was gnome devel
>>> thinking?

> James P. Kinney III
>
> As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to
> consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they
> please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome.
> - *2011 Noam Chomsky*

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*