[ale] In DEB/APT Hell Again

scott scott at sboss.net
Wed May 25 08:17:29 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'm back again.  Back in dpkg hell seeking for some help.  The help
> this weekend was exactly correct and I'm hoping for another win on a
> different machine.
>
> The normal 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' failed with lots and lots
> of packages that needed to be updated. 8.04 Ubuntu Server x64.

you were only doing in-family upgrades (Ubuntu 8.04 to Ubuntu 8.04)
right?  if you were trying to go to 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.4, etc then
you broke the system.

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to new version of Ubuntu
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

have a good one..