[ale] Fedora 15

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed May 25 07:48:23 EDT 2011

On 05/24/2011 11:59 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> OK. Update finished and now I can play with this thing.
>
> Gnome 3 is kind of slicker than I thought. It will generate new
> desktops on the fly as needed. The multi-hand stuff was wrong. Maybe a
> docs error. The usability icon is parked on the top bar and allows for
> easy access to things like high-contrast, zoom, large text and other
> goodies. The alt-f1 is the key stroke to access the activities area.
>
> It is quite different but very slick. Unlike other UI changes, this
> doesn't make me think Apple is going to sue. It is NOTHING like
> windows 7 from the few wretched tinkerings I saw at microcenter.
There are already a few shell extensions available such as dock which
puts the app dock on the right. Check out the Musings of an OS Plumber
Blog site. This guy has written a few articles on Gnome3 Shell
explaining the workings and a few Howtos. The site is here:
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/05/more-gnome-shell-customization.html

There are some nice things about it and yes it is very different. Takes
some gettin' used to.