[ale] Proxmox thanks

David Hillman hillmands at gmail.com
Fri May 20 13:48:10 EDT 2011

I'd like to say thanks to all the folks that recommended Proxmox virtual
environment.  I just loaded it on one of our Dell PowerEdge 2970 test
servers and it is working great.  The install took literally no time at all.
 It falls right in that sweet spot between a full-blown cloud environment
and a plain virtual service.  That's just what we need right now.  Having
the web-based control panel is great.  The only issue I had was having to
ssh into the box to get LVM going on the second RAID array and then having
to add that as a storage device through the web interface.  I thought it
could handle all that from the client interface, sorta like ESXi.  It's not
as polished as ESXi, but at least I don't have to load up a Windows machine
to manage things.  That, plus not having to deal with license issues down
the road is great.  Who wants license issues for a test environment?  I
still would like to merge the Proxmox interface with something like
ISPConfig to manage domain names and virtual machines from one place.  Time
to go figure out a good way to glue those together without creating a
monster.  One thing I didn't find on the Proxmox website is API
documentation.