[ale] AV software? Slightly OT

Wed May 18 21:46:57 EDT 2011

+1 for Little Snitch. I still do not believe in virus software for a
Mac. Just don't install ill gotten software and you are fine. I also
tend to avoid using any software that uses an "installer" unless I
have done my research on it. If you use an installer, you probably are
a windows developer and suck at writing software anyway. No thank you.
It makes sense that something like Little Snitch would need an admin
password to install. But most everything else ought to be unzip and
use.

Just say no to virus protection software. It's usually more of a
performance penalty than the virus you would never get anyway.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Michael Potter <michael at potter.name> wrote:
> I use little snitch:
> http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html
>
> It tells me of any new outbound connection.
>
> It is a little too geeky for the normal user, but I like to know what
> software is phoning home.
>
> --
> Michael Potter
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM, scott <scott at sboss.net> wrote:
>> Best Mac anti-Malware is MacScan ( http://macscan.securemac.com ).  It
>> is top notch.
>>
>> There are a few Mac AV software but most act like Windows software
>> ported over and not like a Mac software.  I have been using ClamAV-X (
>> MacOSX port of our love ClamAV ).
>>
>> if you have any other mac specific questions, feel free to ping me offline.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:
>>> My wife's MacBook suffered an unrecoverable hard drive crash last week.
>>> Fortunately, hard copies existed for all the critical material she had
>>> created since the last backup, so the loss was mostly a major nuisance
>>> rather than a major disaster. :)
>>>
>>> It was Emory's computer, and it died right after graduation. Go figure.
>>>
>>> So she bought a new one (without all the cruft Emory insists on installing).
>>>
>>> Slashdot notes today the increase in malware aimed directly at OS X and that
>>> causes me to wonder what sort of anti-virus software should be installed on
>>> this laptop. (small MacBook Pro) Obviously it needs to be something that a
>>> non-geek is going to be able to use.
>>>
>>> Suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Sean

> Michael Potter