[ale] Cost of freedom

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 17 08:02:00 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Geoffrey Myers <lists at serioustechnology.com
> wrote:

> Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> > On 5/16/11 11:30 AM, David Hillman wrote:
> >> Why did we go with the Netgear box in the first place? Someone with
> >> control over the purse strings thought it would be easier and faster.
> > Someone was dead wrong and had a misconceived idea of what's really
> > important.
>
> Time and again, I see financial people making decisions regarding
> technology.  It is so wrong.
>
> Would you have your plumber do your taxes?

When I did plumbing, yes :-)

Financial people make decisions based on a single viewpoint just as the tech
people do. Both views are valid but the combination is the correct action.
It's the collaboration that is always missing. Competition within the
organization is not a process I've seen to be long-term productive. A prior
employment location had very little understanding of "we all work on the
same team" and so planning meetings were always mired in backstabbing and
power grabs and just plain old fights.

> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*