[ale] Archos Tablet

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Sat May 14 20:16:53 EDT 2011

I tried calling Customer Support last night for the Arnova 10 my wife
has.  The info card that comes in the box claims you can call Customer
Service 24 x 7!  I thought that would be rather impressive!!  Well...it
would have.  Once I called I found they were closed and decided to try
for their Saturday hours.

I called again this morning...very long wait times!  The first try ended
with me hanging-up.  The second try had me through in about 10-minutes.
The support tech was a native English speaker and very well versed.  (A
bonus to the company at this point!)  I found out quickly that the tools
that I had d/l'd were all the wrong ones and that the website that I had
been going to was wrong.  He explained that the websites are confusing
and not done as well as they should be.

Once on track I found the .img to update the OS but found that the unit
is basically TOAST.  The error loop that it is stuck in does not allow
the machine to power down thus it cannot see the new update to the OS to
reinitialize and un-bork itself on reboot.  This is a well known issue
to them now and was recommended for RMA if I couldn't get lucky working
with it otherwise.

I'll give it a few more college tries and then send it back to the
factory.  Not much of a showing thus far for Archos and the Arnova 10
thus far......Rich in Lilburn