[ale] Keep things from history

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Sat May 14 12:08:20 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:30:56AM -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> Interesting thing I found in bash a while back and noticed it again
> today.
> If you put a space before the command it will not be stored in bash's
> history.

Correction: Bash can be *told* to do that.

If you look at your HISTFILE env variable, you'll find "[ ]*" as one of the
colon-separated elements. That's why it ignores commands that start with a
space and why it won't necessarily work everywhere - it has to be set up.

This is mine:

  HISTIGNORE="&:ls:cd:[bf]g:[ ]*"

-L