[ale] scripts, file I/O, and loss of hair

Thu May 12 21:38:01 EDT 2011

Yes, Don, yes! This whole exercise is confusing and makes no sense.
I'm going to try to get so tools into Jim's hands and hopefully get
some better information about what he is REALLY trying to do.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:45 PM, The Don Lachlan
<ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 05:57:42PM -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> that expects a {binary name} < {input data file}. {input data file} is
>> variably named and often 20+MB. Changing {binary name} to work better is
>> political (think Fortran 77 base code - someone in charge got their PhD with
>> that program).
>> so things must work as they are with my little tweaks around the edges.
>> until I blow away the decades old mess and start over in C.
>
> That doesn't make any sense.
>
> If the Fortran code expects the data as a stream (that's what the redirect
> does), then why are you trying to get the file name in a shell script? What
> is your objective with this?
>
> -L

.!# RichardBronosky #!.