[ale] Ubuntu recommendations

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu May 12 12:18:04 EDT 2011

yay beta software!

The software updater runs on startup, checks for updates and exits if
nothing needed. given that it's beta stuff you're running, there will be
updates :-)

let it finish or tell it to do less.

There is a database that backs rpms so the system will do a lock to prevent
corruption. All of the rpm/yum package tools honor that lock (as they
should).

I will wait for an actual install of F15 for about 2 months after release.
For now it's nothing but vm's.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> I've done the unthinkable... and installed Fedora 15 on my systems. At
> least, for the time being. Not sure if I will stick with it or not. The
> package manager seems to take forever to do things, and it has a daemon
> component that seems to hang up somewhat regularly. After a boot I have to
> kill it (and it seems to restart automatically when needed) in order to do
> things like install software.
>
> Oh, the things I would do, if only I had the money to hire a team of five
> to ten people...

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*