[ale] Ubuntu recommendations

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Thu May 12 09:10:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 05:30:29PM -0400, Collin Pruitt wrote:
> After release, LTS releases are only updated with critical security
> updates or bug fixes. LTS is mostly for consumers that require long-term
> stability, as LTS releases are supported for a far longer amount of time
> than regular releases, and LTS releases are rarely used to release major
> changes to the distro for the sake of stability.

LTS is mainly for "enterprise" installs, where you want something that won't
change and is supported for years (3yr for desktop, 5yr for server).

> On 5/11/2011 4:21 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> > Personally, I would go with the latest release (11.04 right now). I
> > would only ever install Ubuntu on a desktop, so I don't know what
> > benefit the LTS version would give me.

I hate latest and greatest. HATE. I avoid latest and greatest like the
plague, since that's very often what it feels like.

With Ubuntu, I've been recommending (and occassionally using) the previous
release. If 11.04 is out, use 10.10. Ubuntu is updated for 2yrs, so staying
one release back is no biggie. It's a trade-off of stability for less shiny.

I've been using Ubuntu since it first came out and their latest releases
have always been THE SUCK for me. Waiting 6mos lets them shake out the bugs
and I get a much more useable system.

Moreover, Ubuntu 11.04 has the new Unity interface and, whether it's a good
change or a bad change, it's a very significant change that I would avoid
until it's had a bit of production time.

-L