[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon May 9 08:25:49 EDT 2011

Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> The Amish choose to eschew modern technology and thereby don't get many
> converts and even lose some of those born to their society.   Despite
> that they still have a "community" that is alive and apparently
> thriving.
>
> Saying some people choose to unsubscribe because of OT posts doesn't
> mean that ALE isn't a viable community.   Like the Amish its customs may
> put some people off but who is to say that actually diminishes the
> community?   Presumably those who stay do so despite the OT stuff. (I
> won't go so far as to say they stay possibly because of it.)
>
> A tlanta
> L inux
> E nthusiasts
>
> Is it OT for folks that don't live in Atlanta to post here?  I see such
> post frequently.  I'd say that while many posts don't originate in
> Atlanta and may not be about Linux they ARE "enthusiastic" and maybe
> that is more defining of this "community" than the other two parts of
> the name.

It used to be that the defining point of ALE was Linux.  I don't mind
the community/pub thing. What turns folks off is the rhetoric often used
that is so spiteful.  As I said before, the noise to value ratio on the
list is very poor.  Has been for a while.  I know a number of folks that
I pointed to ALE who have left.  Sadly, I no longer point people to ALE
as Linux resource.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."