[ale] Sun Ultra 40 / apcupsd / buzz-saw sound from powersupply.

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:56:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:
> Does the pitch of the sound fall when you pull a cable?  I've had to
> replace a bad fan in a SunFire V240 PS before...

No - it's a relay-buzz sound rather than a fan-buzz sound. It only
happens when the unit is NOT powered on, and it's plugged into the
UPS. Maybe the UPS is putting out more of a saw-tooth than sine-wave
AC? Powering the computer on stops the sound instantly. When it's
happening, the only thing that changes the pitch (to zero) is pulling
the power plug from the unit. :)