[ale] Rack Server getting dusty

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu May 5 16:57:36 EDT 2011

Proxmox VM server. This gives you KVM and OpenVZ virtualization
platform.  Then you can drop any 20 distros on it inside VMs and learn
anything.  psSense, Smoothwall, Backtrack, Ubuntu Server, CentOS, Ubuntu
Natty, Fedoria, FreeNAS, OpenNAS, Asterisk, FreeSwitch, Windows 2008R2,
or whatever.
LAMP, C++ Dev server, RoR, Perl, Java (yuck).
Setup Zimbra, Alfresco, MediaWiki, Redmine, Bacula servers and keep them
separate for easy upgrades and maintenance.  Learn to manage 20 servers
efficiently like a business would - use Puppet.  Also learn about VM
sprawl. ;)

You didn't say how much disk, networking, RAM or what types of CPUs you
have.  You're good with just VT-x support as a min. Any other issue is
probably $50 to fix.

If you eventually add another box, you can create a Virtualization
cluster with VM migration capabilities.

The world becomes pretty limitless.